Wednesday 24 October 2012

Crusade/Heresy Era Death Guard Painting Tutorial Part I - Worn and Dirty White





I was asked if I could do a tutorial on how I painted the above Death Guard Cataphractii Terminator by one of the Fraters on the Bolter and Chainsword so armed with my paints, brushes and camera I've set out to tryand do just that.

 Before we start, these are the paints you'll need to replicate this colour scheme exactly*:

For the White:
*I say exactly because I've used a combination of 'old' and 'new' Citadel paints here. If you're just using 'new' paints then the following conversion chart will help:

Chaos Black = Abaddon Black
Khemri Brown = Baneblade Brown
Dheneb Stone = Rakarth Flesh
Devlan Mud = Agrax Earthshade


First up we're going to paint the White armour plates. We're doing them first because a) they're the largest area of colour and b) because we're drybrushing which will be messy...

Undercoat your chosen mini(s) with a Black primer of your choosing. I used Chaos Black spray because that's what I have but feel free to use whatever you're happy with.

Next Basecoat the mini with Khemri Brown


Then Wash it with Devlan Mud

Now comes the messy part. We're going to build up the the white over several layers of paint which is what helps to give the dirty, chipped, well-worn look to the armour plates. You'll notice as you build up the layers of Drybrushing that some of the details on the mini are beginning to lose definition, don't worry as final step will fix that. 

Drybrush the mini with Khemri Brown

followed by a Drybrush of a 50/50 mix of Khemri Brown and Dheneb Stone


then pure Dheneb Stone

then a 50/50 mix of Dheneb Stone and Ulthuan Grey

followed by pure Ulthuan Grey

then a 50/50 mix of Ulthuan Grey and White Scar

and finally pure White Scar before finishing off the white plates by glazing them with Devlan Mud.



In Part II I'll show you how I painted the green armour plates and finished up the detailing of the mini.







No comments:

Post a Comment